Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Power of Metaphors

There is explosive power in metaphors. A writer understands when they utilize metaphors they vividly enhances their story through word pictures. When readers are given a visual that they are familiar with it not only solidifies a statement but it brings to life an experience. An experience that is readily embraced and rather hard to let go.

As a writer I try to use them every chance I get to make my point clear. That is why Jesus preached in parables (metaphors) that everyone could understand and his ministerial movement was immeasurable.

Our brains think in pictures. The more commonly we use metaphors the easier the material is to remember. The more it becomes a part of us.

Tell me which description works better for you.

1st. Sentence
Lacey chases behind Billy determined to catch him before he get away.

2nd. Sentence
Lacey chases Billy down like a cop in hot pursuit of an escaped convict on the run.

Notice how the first sentence gives you information but the second sentence not only gives you information but a visual.

I mean how many of you have seen a police officer chasing behind a criminal. The second sentence brings the chase to life.

What about this Michael Jackson lyric?

You've been hit by a smooth criminal.

1st Sentence
Bobby is mad so he got out of his seat, left out and slammed the door behind him.

2nd Sentence
Bobby's face twisted as it turned fire engine red, he popped up,walked out and slamming the door behind him causing the walls to tremble.

By now you are realizing the power of using metaphors in your daily life.

I suggest utilizing metaphors more to explain yourself when talking. You will see that people will remember what you share with them more. You will also see for yourself that people will be more intrigued by your communication skills.

I use metaphors to empower myself. Here are a few I like to use which help me in tough times.

I'm a warrior

I'm a boxer

I'm a champion

I'm a body builder of righteousness

You can use them too or come up with your own. They work wonders.

In closing, remember to pack your speech with metaphors so people will be inspired to have more enjoyable communication with you.

Have fountain of forgiveness in your heart today, because someone will do something to warrant your forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment